In back of Hillside Lodge there is a concrete patio between the house and a wooded hillside. Each winter, as the trees drip and the patio remains unused, a yucky layer of dirt and grime collects on the surface of the concrete. And each spring or summer I use my power washer to make the patio nice and clean again.Today was the day for this year's washing. With each pass of the wand I could see the grime disappearing and the fresh gray concrete emerging. Pass by pass, bit by bit, I got the job done. It was monotonous work; it was repetitive. But there was also a pleasing rhythm to the activity. For part of the time I found myself thinking of nothing but the sound of the water. At other times I thought only of the strips of newly-clean concrete as they came into view.
My experience was probably akin to what some call Mindfulness Meditation which essentially involves focusing on the present moment. To be mindful is to be aware of your thoughts and actions in the present, without judging yourself. (I especially like this last part, not judging yourself, don't you?)
I love it when my mind is peaceful without all that constant chattering, known is some circles as "monkey mind." I look forward to more experiences where I can be fully present, fully at one with the moment. Perhaps I will lie in the hammock and just concentrate on my breath.
2 comments:
Is there room for three in that hammock? Love you! -Bob & Mave
Yeas I agree Not Judging Yourself would be very Nice..... Unfortunately I have not mastered this technique. I hope that some day I can achieve this, even if only for one day!
Post a Comment