My beloved Center for Spiritual Living, Santa Rosa, for which I am a new board member, recently provided the venue for an interfaith service titled “Live Equally, Love Equally.” The event, which was attended by over 500 people, was organized by the Sonoma County Pride Planning Committee, and was designed to affirm family values by supporting marriage of same-sex couples. Presenters included pastors and musicians from Episcopal, Jewish, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Unitarian, Metropolitan Community Church, and Methodist congregations in our area. A special children’s sermon was provided for kids in the audience by the pastor of Thanksgiving Lutheran Church.Unfortunately, California’s Proposition 8, which was written to deny equal rights to a specific segment of our citizenry, was apparently approved by the voters last Tuesday by a very narrow margin. However, I know that this setback on the pathway toward universal human rights is temporary. Eventually all people everywhere will be treated equally with love and mutual respect. There will indeed be “liberty and justice for all.” But it seems to be taking a long time, doesn't it?
Meanwhile, I can bring the issue right into my own heart. I can live a life of love, avoiding discrimination of every kind, each and every day. I can remember the Sanskrit word Namasté, which means, “The God in me beholds the God in you. Your spirit and my spirit are ONE.”
1 comment:
I love visiting your blog, it is like a refreshing spring.
Post a Comment