Saturday, May 9, 2009

Cécile Brünner Rose

When my mother and grandmother talked about the Cécile Brünner climbing rose, I assumed it was named after a man. They pronounced it "see'-sul broo'-ner." In fact, this robust climber was named in 1881 for Mademoiselle Cécile Brünner by the well-regarded French rosarian Jean Claude Pernet of Lyon.

I have all but given up trying to grow roses where I live. No matter how much I spray them or use systemic granules to combat pests, most of the roses continue to suffer from the maladies that often beset them in this microclimate: powdery mildew, rust, black spot, aphids, and hungry deer.

But in the back garden there is a magnificent specimen of the Cécile Brünner rose that has flourished for around a half century. It was planted by the late Greta Salonen who put in most of the mature trees and shrubs when she lived here. Brava Greta! And thank you!!

No comments: